Tuesday, September 25, 2007

the lightening storm

sat night, as i was driving home from the boise airport i saw some bright lights in distant darkness. i didnt' think too much about them as i was anxious to make good time and get home to see my hubby and son after being away for 5 days. being late at night, the roads were fairly clear. as i continued east, i noticed that not only were the lights still showing up at times, but that they were getting brighter. i remembered that earlier in the week i had heard the weatherman say there was a chance of lightning.

as i got closer i noticed that each time the lightning occured, the sky would be lit up in a purple glow. i had seen photos of lightning but always assumed that the photographer had added something extra to the shot to get that purple. there was sheet lightning, stretching across the sky and then a bolt that would strike vertically on the horizon. being so far away, it was a majestic show just for me. i was in awe of the colors, the power, the light .... but then it got closer, or i should say i got closer to the storm. the rain started and the few cars around me and i slowed down. visibility was an issue as well as the lightning that now seemed to be right in front of our vehicles.

driving is not my favorite activity since mike's accident. and driving at night, in the rain, on the freeway is even less palatable. throw in a lightning storm and a panic attack could be in the forseeable future. but as i was debating whether to move to the side of the road and try to wait out the storm, the story of the disciples in the boat when the storm arose came to mind. even with Jesus sleeping in the boat, they were anxious for their very lives. i too, was feeling anxious. the power of the storm made me fear for my safety. but just as the Lord had been with the disciples in the boat, He was also with me in the car. as i reflected on the disciples plight and my own, the Lord brought peace to me as i drove my van thru the rain and lightning. soon i was able to look at the lightning and revel in the awesome power of the storm that God created and put on display for me to witness. i was reminded of what majestic power and might He wields.

as i continued on in my travels, i could no longer see the lightning ahead of me. instead the lightning flashed above my head and i saw the brillance thru my periferial vision. and then it was behind me. the rain softened and soon disappeared. the flashes of light just a distant vision in my rear view mirror.

Exodus 20:18 All the people perceived the thunder and the lightning flashes and the sound of the trumpet and the mountain smoking; and when the people saw it, they trembled and stood at a distance.

8 comments:

Connie Barris said...

This was a beautiful analogy of our majestic almighty powerful beautiful Savior.. is it not?

blessings Gail
Connie

gail said...

thanks connie, i am always in awe of our majectic, almighty, powerful Lord. any tiny glimpse into His realm leaves me pondering His mighty awesomeness.

Dianne said...

Hi Gail. Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog. I enjoyed yours as well.

Kate said...

The story of Jesus sleeping in the boat is one of my favorites. We need not be afraid as He is with us in our storms. How kind of Him to bring that to your mind as you were driving.

The neatest lightening I have ever seen was in a snowstorm. It flashed blue above the clouds. I have never seen anything like it.

Kate

Anonymous said...

Gail,
Thank you for the comment on my blog. I am inspired by your faith in our King as you have endured so much. I appreciate your view and wanted to be sensitive in my post because I know that there are women who cannot have children or have trouble carrying babies. Thank you for your insight and for sharing your heart.
Blessings to you!
Brandy

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Gail, for your comment on my blog. I'm always so encouraged by comments! I've not spent a ton of time browsing your site here, as it's Thanksgiving Day here in Canada, and I've got a bunch I need to do, but, I will be back. So far, it looks quite inspiring!

Sharon Lynne said...

That was a wonderful story about the storm. Storms can be beautiful, yet frightening.

I think the beautiful part of life's storms...is knowing that somehow God will work it out for the good!

Kathy in WA said...

What a beautiful demonstration of God's power and majesty.

Thanks for sharing. Wish you had taken pictures. :)

Duckabush Blog