Wednesday, May 28, 2008

moth and rust destroy




matt 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."

if my treasure was in my van, i'd be in a sorry state right now. last week, a car turned in front of me and my right bumper collided with her right side. thankfully no one was critically injured and thankfully i had the right of way. (so it wasn't my fault!)

this week we found out our insurance company was going to call the van totalled. moth and rust may not have destroyed it, but it was pretty well destroyed anyway. if i put my hope and trust in the things of this world, eventually they will all go the way of my van. they are temporary, corruptible, eventually turning to dust. and this world, along with all the stuff of it, will pass away.

i like the next verse, matt 6:20 "but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal."(emphasis mine) here the Lord doesn't just tell us what not to do, but He gives us direction on what to do. i always appreciate knowing what i should do and what is expected of me. and the reward is if we do this, is that these treasures will not be destroyed. for they are kept safe in heaven, the place of the eternal.

what a wonderful promise. so next time you are thinking of your treasures, i hope they are all stored in heaven and not here on earth.

3 comments:

Terra said...

Yes, Matthew 6:19-20 is so profound, while we people tend to care about our possessions.
That is good no one was injured. How is your van; did they decide it is totalled or will you get it fixed?
I saw your blog on the CWO blogroll and came over to say hi.
Blessings.

Mikki said...

So true, so true. I know we think of how are family members grow quickly or could be gone in an instant, but we do need to take stock in what we hold on too tightly material wise.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

justjuls said...

Hi Gail -
Thanks for outing yourself at my blog!
Boy I could relate to this post - not specifically about the van thing - but in general. Sometimes we worry a bit too much about the things of this earth.

Well said.