Wednesday, January 02, 2008

over the hills and thru the woods ....

on our drive home, we hit some rough weather in the blues of eastern oregon. as i was driving over the pass and dusk settled, an icy rain started to fall. the roads had patches of compact snow and ice. the further we went the more snow and ice covered the road. at first it was ok driving as a convoy of vehichles stayed in the right lane. but as the semi we were all following crept slower and slower over the pass, the antsy drivers behind us started to pass us, spraying wet ice and snow on our windshields as they whizzed past.

this is my least favorite kind of driving, right up there with driving in fog at night on a freeway. i always tell myself i'm never going to do this again,but invariably, being the only driver in our household, i find myself exactly in the situation i like least.

as i was driving and wishing i was anywhere but there, i was thinking that this was yet another opportunity to trust God. i think trusting God has become a theme in my life becuz i'm a bit of a control junkie. i like to be in control of my life. even if it is only the illusion of control i want to think that everything is ok. i find that the Lord has given me lots of opportunities to remind me that i an NOT in control. all i have to do is find myself on a snowy mtn pass with cars whizzing by me as i putz along to remind me that i NEED the Lord, and i HAVE to trust Him, cuz there ain't no other way.

as i watch others and myself deal with the hard stuff of life, i often wonder how those without Jesus do it. where is their foundation? how do they cope? for me, i NEED the Lord. i need to lean on Him when i have no understanding of the situation. i need to know that He is in control and sovereign. i need to find shelter under the shadow of His wing.

and the older i get, the more i see that we ALL go thru the hard times. whether its watching your parents get older and suffer the effects of cancer ravaging their bodies, or haivng health issues yourself. we dont' get to go thru life unscathed. there are fires, and floods, families coming unraveled and economic hardships. there are car accidents and random acts of violence that happen unexpectedly. but thru it all, i SEE my Lord! i hold HIS hand! i am carried by Him! He is with me.

the Lord got me down that mtn that night safe and sound. we made it thru the rough icy roads the next morning as well. and as i look at my life, i know that He is doing the same for michael and i. we will make it thru this hard part of life, He will bring us thru it all safe and sound.

one of my fav verses is in Isaiah. When you pass thru the waters, I will be with you; and thru the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk thru the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

i love how it say when, not if. the Lord knows what we as frail humans go thru. He is not unaware. and He gives His promise as to why we will get thru it all, becuz He is the Lord, our Savior. what a comfort, what a joy!

the verse before these touches me deeply as it says: Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are Mine!

so whatever you are going thru, have gone thru, or are yet to go thru, do not be afraid. cling to Jesus. remember your Savior is the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel. He is mighty to save! He will get you thru that river and bring you thru that fire unscorched. Praise be to the Lord God Almighty!!!

1 comment:

Joyfulsister said...

Aloha.. I enjoyed reading your blog today!!! It is so awesome to meet other women of God all over the Lord.. Keep blogging for jesus and enjoy the journey... Joyful