Sunday, August 20, 2006

spunkie's example

during our first year of marriage, my husband got me a cute little mutt of a dog. we named her spunkie since she was so rambunctious as a young pup. we made the mistake of feeding her scraps from the table, but being the obedient dog she was she would wait patiently for a hand out.

i remember sitting at the table eating my meal and having spunkie sitting next to me, her expectant eyes trained on my every move. she wouldn't leave or turn her head until there was no more chances of a juicy handout being given. if i got up from the table she was right there at my heels.

then one day i was reading ps 123:2 "as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress; so our eyes look to the Lord our God, until He shall be gracious to us." since i dont' have a maid and probably never will, i thot of spunkie...

sadly, i realize that i don't keep my eyes glued on the Lord waiting for Him to give me a treat. i get distracted often, i leave the room, i get impatient, but then i remember spunkie's example. i need to be more like her. expectant, patient, hopeful of what my master may give me, attentive. and like a maid to her mistress, i need to be ready to do my master's bidding the minute he says "go" or "come".

what a joy to know at the end of that verse, it implies that if i wait long enough, the Lord WILL be gracious to me. now that is a treat worth waiting for!

No comments: